City of Fort Collins
Fort Collins is a city in northern Colorado. The City's Department of Transportation conducts citizen transportation surveys to evaluate the current state of transportation and to design public policy for its future. These surveys are managed by National Research Center Inc. (NRC).
DVmobile designed a mobile app version of this survey for iOS and Android devices, as the first step into transforming transportation surveys from paper to digital.
WHO: Local Government Transportation Department
CHALLENGE: High costs of producing, mailing, and manually capturing thousands of hand-written paper surveys. Increasing lack of interest and response by the population, especially younger generations.
SOLUTION: Reusable and white-labeled iOS and Android mobile app with GPS trip-tracking abilities. Improved overall customer experience and journey, reaching people where they are. Reduced the time and hassle to respond while increasing the value and amount of information captured.
IMPACT: The City now has a high-performance, repeatable survey that yields data that correlates with decades of past surveys plus additional, new invaluable data about transportation behavior and usage compatible with GIS systems and computer models.
- Auto-detect of trips (GPS location and time).
- Notification reminders for important dates (survey start, submission deadline, etc.).
- Data collected is optimized and presented to City planners in a friendly web dashboard for a more efficient analysis.
- GPS points and routes can be exported into GIS systems.
- User Interface was designed for a broad range of users, to ease the process of logging trips, and to simplify a complex survey.
The app was divided in sections:
• Welcome & Tutorial: warm and clear explanation of the survey, its importance, and how it works.
• Transportation Questionnaire: questions about transportation habits and type of vehicles owned.
• Work Questionnaire: typical demographic questions.
• My Trips: list of trips recorded by GPS during one day.
• Feedback: final questions about the experience.
Automatic Recording of Trips
The most important section of the survey is My Trips, where all the activity is recorded automatically by GPS algorithms designed specifically to detect movement and duration for the type of behavior expected.
Trips are listed chronologically and show start or end times and a route map. Users describe further details such as purpose and transportation mode used.
This information is much richer to the City planners than what traditional surveys can ever provide. Capturing it in an easy and convenient way is key to the app's success.
- Apache Cordova
- DVblueprint Epic
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- HTML5 / CSS3
- bootstrap 4
SmartSurveys are Colorado Designed™ software
DVmobile is a Colorado Company™
We are excited to have contributed to a digital transformation and overall transportation plans that will improve the quality of life of the citizens of Fort Collins.
Contact us to know more about how DVmobile can partner with you to design a Smart Survey.